Southern Medical Care offers an array of occupational health services at competitive prices and with the option to tailor them to your company's needs. Whether you are an established business or a just a start-up, Southern Medical Care can help you achieve your staffing goals. Call 601.261.2727 and tell us what you need.
Medical Review Officer (MRO) Services
Our physician, Dr. Omolara Otaigbe, is also a Medical Review Officer and Southern Medical Care provides this service in compliance with all federal and state regulations. For more information, please call 601.261.2727.
Southern Medical Care offers DOT physicals for the purposes of obtaining a CDL (Commercial Driver's License). Under federal law, operators of commercial motor vehicles are required to undergo a physical examination, drug testing, alcohol testing, and random substance abuse testing once every two years. Southern Medical Care is equipped to provide all of these services in one visit.
*service available if applicable for an additional fee
DOT physicals $125.00
Your DOT physical at our clinic will include:
- Vision exam
- Hearing exam
- Blood pressure test
- Heart rate test
- Ear/nose/throat exam
- Reflex test
- Breath Alcohol*
- Pulmonary Function Test*
- Hemoglobin A1C*
Dr. Otaigbe is a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certified Aviation Medical Examiner (AME). Physical exams are offered as follows:
1st Class- $250
2nd Class- $200
3rd Class- $150
How to Get Started:
- Visit the FAA website or click here to complete Form 8500-8 items 1 - 20.
- Print exam summary and confirmation page and bring to your appointment.
- Call and schedule your appointment.
What to bring to your appointment:
- Printed exam summary and confirmation number from the FAA website.
- A valid, government issued picture ID (driver's license or passport).
- All Medical records and health documentation.
- Glasses, contact lenses, or hearing aids, if required.
What to expect:
- FAA requirements vary by age and class so your visit may take 1-2 hours.
- Be prepared for a thorough examination of your current health status as well as your past medical history.
Merchant Mariner Credential
The MMC is the U.S. Coast Guard Credential that allows you to be hired and to work on any commercial vessels, ship, boats, and barges around the U.S. and the world. This is your international credential as a Merchant Mariner.
Click here to download and COMPLETE your application PRIOR to your appointment.
- Physical $125.00
- Drug Screen $50.00
Pre-Employment Physicals/Drug Testing
As employers, we understand the importance and investment attached to bringing new employees to the workplace. Southern Medical provides clinical services, as well as prevention programs, to assist you in creating and maintaining a healthy and safe workplace. All of our examinations can be modified to suit your specific needs so whether you are looking to evaluate fitness and ability of a new employee or determine if an employee can return to work, we can provide you the answers you need.
The staff at Southern Medical Care is trained and certified to complete federal, state, and local drug and alcohol testing testing and our facilities are in full compliance of all regulations. We are also equipped with FormFox to process electronic requests.
I-Cup Urine Drug Screens
- Instant results
- If the I-Cup reader is unable to verify a negative result, the specimen is sent to the lab and confirmed results are available within 24 to 48 hours. Sending a specimen to the lab does not imply a positive result.
- Positive results are reviewed by our own Medical Review Officer. This review process takes legitimate explanations into account when evaluating a positive result.
- Our testing process screens for three adulterants:
- Nitrate (to ensure that no foreign substances are present)
- Creatin (to ensure that specimen has not been diluted)
- PH (to ensure that the specimen is actually urine)
Breath Alcohol Testing
Southern Medical Care offers breath alcohol testing (BAT), performed by certified breath alcohol technicians using the Alco-Sensor RBT IV intoximeter with instant results.
Southern Medical Care offers the following types of drug screening tests:
- Reasonable suspicion
Our testing process is designed to minimize human interpretation of results. This process reduces an employer’s potential liability by eliminating false positives.
All non-negative results are verified by lab confirmation and Medical Officer.
While the drug-screening technology offered by Southern Medical Care gives rapid results, we do NOT utilize so-called “quick” tests (also known as “instant check” or “dip” tests). Because they do not include an adulteration panel, these methods make it possible for a donor to manipulate results by diluting a specimen.
Pulmonary Function Test(PFT)/OSHA Respirator
At Southern Medical Care a spirometer in a pulmonary lab is used to measure functions of the lungs including the amount of air contained in the lungs, the rate of expiration, and the volume of air a patient respires. The physician will interpret the results of the spirometry and a graphic record is obtained.